Questions to Ask Employers
- Please describe the duties of the job for me.
- What kinds of assignments might I expect the first six months on the job?
- Are salary adjustments geared to the cost of living or job performance?
- Does your company encourage further education?
- How often are performance reviews given?
- What products (or services) are in the development stage now?
- Do you have plans for expansion?
- What are your growth projections for next year?
- Have you cut your staff in the last three years?
- How do you feel about creativity and individuality?
- Do you offer flextime?
- Is your company environmentally conscious? In what ways?
- In what ways is a career with your company better than one with your competitors?
- Is this a new position or am I replacing someone?
- What is the largest single problem facing your staff (department) now?
- May I talk with the last person who held this position?
- What is the usual promotional time frame?
- Does your company offer either single or dual career track programs?
- What do you like best about your job/company?
- Once the probation period is completed, how much authority will I have over decisions?
- Has there been much turnover in this job area?
- Do you fill positions from the outside or promote from within first?
- What qualities are you looking for in the candidate who fills this position?
- What skills are especially important for someone in this position?
- What characteristics do the achievers in this company seem to share?
- Is there a lot of team/project work?
- Will I have the opportunity to work on special projects?
- Where does this position fit into the organizational structure?
- How much travel, if any, is involved in this position?
- What is the next course of action? When should I expect to hear from you or should I contact you?