February 1876: Texas State Representative William H. Holland submits an “act to establish an agricultural and manual school for colored youths of the state.”
August 14, 1876: The Fifteenth Legislature authorizes the creation of the “Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas,” “established for colored youths.”
1877: The state takes title to 1,388 acres in Waller County for the site of the college.
March 11, 1878: Alta Vista College for Colored Youth opens with eight students.
1878: L.W. Minor of Mississippi named the first Principal (1878-1879).
April 19, 1879: The school is renamed “Prairie View State Normal School.” The school is the first coeducational public institution of higher learning in the state.
1885: First diplomas granted.
1887: The Twentieth Legislature adds “the Agriculture & Mechanical Department” to the official school name.
1890: The institution becomes a Land Grant College (Second Morrill Act, 1890).
1899: The institution renamed Prairie View Normal and Industrial College.
1901: The institution begins offering a four year course of study.
1918: The Prairie View Training School for nurses established.
1919: Four year senior college program began.
1921: First four year degree offered.
1930: College of Arts and Sciences established.
1937: Division of graduate studies added.
1939: First Masters degree granted.
1945: Prairie View Normal and Industrial College renamed Prairie View University.
1947: Prairie View University renamed Prairie View A&M College of Texas.
1947 - 1948: Dr. E.B. Evans appointed as Principal and subsequently appointed by the Texas A&M University Board of Directors as Prairie View’s first President.
1950: School of Engineering established.
1958: The institution accepted for membership in the Southern Association.
1964: First white students attend Prairie View.
1968: The Navy ROTC program established.
1972: College of Business established (degrees offered since early 1930s).
August 27, 1973: Prairie View A&M College renamed Prairie View A&M University and is an independent unit of the Texas A&M University System.
1982: Prairie View becomes a party to U.S. Dept. of Education’s Office of Civil Right’s lawsuit.
1983: College of Nursing relocates to Texas Medical Center complex in Houston.
November 6, 1984: A constitutional amendment restructures the state’s Permanent University Fund (PUF) to include Prairie View A&M as a beneficiary of its proceeds.
1998: School of Architecture established.
1999: College of Juvenile Justice established.
2000: University College established.
2001: The University’s first doctoral program (Ph.D. in Juvenile Justice) is offered.
2001: Funding approved by 77th Texas Legislature to support state commitment to Office of Civil Rights (OCR) Priority Plan.
July 2002: “Land-Grant institution by federal statute” added to Mission Statement.
2003: Dr. George C. Wright is named as the seventh president of Prairie View.
December 2004: First Ph.D. awarded (Juvenile Justice).
Note: For additional historical information about the institution, see Prairie View A Study in Public Conscience 1878-1945 by George Ruble Woolfolk (NY: Pageant Press, 1962)
Contact PVAMU |
ADA Resources |
Compact with Texans |
Homeland Security |
Open Records |
Risk, Fraud & Misconduct Hotline |
State of Texas |
Webmaster | Jobs
2003-2009 PRAIRIE VIEW A & M UNIVERSITY - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
P.O. Box 519 - Prairie View, Texas - 77446-0519
FM 1098 Rd & University Dr, Prairie View, TX 77446
University Operator: (936) 261-3311
Best viewed with IE 7.x+ or FireFox 3.x+