SCANNING - FAXING - TYPING SERVICES
Scanning Policy | Scanning Instructions | Fax Request Document
Richard Lavallais - Class of 2009
scanning a page from a book.
| The John B. Coleman Library is pleased to announce that Scanning and Faxing Services are now available for students. Self-service scanning is available in the Reference Department, Room 126-D (formerly a typing and copying room). Faxing service is provided by Library Staff at the Circulation Desk. Both Reference and Circulation are conveniently located on the 1st Floor of the Library.
Students may sign-up to scan materials at the Reference Desk, which is to the right when you enter the Library; and inquire about faxing services at the Circulation Desk, which is to the left of the 1st floor corridor.
Please be prepared to show a current PVAMU – ID – card for Scanning, Typing & Faxing.
Scan or email documents, or pages from books, to your email account. There is no charge for scanning services.
- Use a pvamu.edu email account if possible. Other accounts such as hotmail have storage problems with large PDF or other types of "image files."
- Break a large number of originals into separate scan jobs so your files are not too large to open.
- Check your email before you leave the building to see if the scan is there. Lost scans are NOT recoverable!
- The scanning station in Room 126-D is NOT to be used for downloading large research journal article files from online electronic databases. Articles retrieved from searching electronic databases must be printed or downloaded with the computers and printers located near the Reference Desk.
- The Library is not responsible for the quality of scanned images or errors due to equipment malfunction.
- The library is not responsible for lost or misplaced items (documents, flash drives, etc.) left in Room 126D. Please remember to take all personal belongings with you when you leave the room.
- Please inquire at the Reference Desk for additional assistance.
Faxing service is provided by the Circulation Department Staff at the Circulation Desk, on the 1st floor of the Library for students with current PVAMU-ID cards.
|Fax Service Hours:
Monday – Friday: 11:00 - 11:30 am and 4:00 - 4:30 pm
- Documents may be faxed to a “local” or Metro-Houston “toll-free” area-code at “no charge"
- Faxing beyond local destinations (long distance) within the continental U.S.A. will be limited to 3-pages “without a charge” including the Cover Sheet. All above 3-pages (4+) will be charged at $1.00 (one dollar) per page.
- Faxing service is NOT available to “international” locations.
- Faxing Request Forms and Cover Sheets are available at the Circulation Desk; or “click” here for the forms.
- Rush requests “cannot” be accommodated at this location.
- Faxes will be sent by full-time library staff, and will “not” take priority over other Circulation or Reserve Desk services. Faxes will be sent between 11:00 - 11:30 am and 4:00 - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
- The library is not responsible for errors in faxing due to poor image quality, problems on the receiving end, incorrect fax numbers, etc.
- Number of scanned documents must not exceed “15 pages”
- Number of patrons allowed in the “scanning room” on “one-signature” is limited to “one user” at a time
- The Circulation Department Faxing equipment is a Panasonic KXFLB756.
- Please inquire at the Circulation Desk for further information.
- A typewriter is still available in Room 126-D. Sign in at the Reference Desk.
- The typewriter is a Brother Correctronic GX-6750 Electronic.
- Correction fluid is provided. Paper is NOT provided.
Step-by-Step Instructions are located next to the scanner in Room 126-D.
The Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies, scanned images or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, a library is authorized to allow photocopying, scanning or other reproduction on the premises. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy, scanned image or other reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a photocopy, scan image or other reproductions for purposes in excess of "Fair Use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to prohibit or restrict copying if, in its judgment, copying would involve violation of copyright law.
| Scanning Service Hours:
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday – Saturday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday: 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm
There is one (1) flatbed scanner, connected to a desktop PC, in Room 126-D in the Reference Department located in the East Wing of the 1st Floor of the Library.
Students wishing to use the scanning equipment in Room 126-D must sign-in at the Reference Desk
- A current valid PVAMU-ID must be provided to use the scanner room. The ID will be held at the Reference Desk.
- 30 minute time limit which can be renewed if no one else has signed up.
- One person ONLY is allowed in the scanning room.
- Only 15 pages can be scanned per session.
- No scanning pages from books or journals - use the photocopiers.
- No Printing - Scanned images can be emailed or saved on flash drive (flash drives may be purchased at the Bookstore)
- Reference Department staff will provide entry to the scanning-room which is always locked.
Room 126-D is available for 30-minute periods on the sign-up sheet, on a first come first serve basis with no reservations. Those wishing to use the room for longer periods of time must re-sign the sheet at the Reference Desk, to ensure that others are not waiting for the scanner. Waiting patrons will take priority.