Rights and Responsibilities
The Office of Disability Services is responsible to:
- Publicize how to access services for a disability.
- Provide leadership in the formation and interpretation of policies and procedures that promote access and equity for persons with a disability and sponsor relevant and meaningful programs that promote diversity and student success.
- Register students who self-identify as a person with a disability.
- Verify eligibility gleaned from current and comprehensive documentation of a disability
- Provide eligible program participants with a letter of recommended accommodations.
- Respect and observe a studentís right to privacy about disability information.
- Provide updates on grievance policies and procedures.†
Persons with a Disability are responsible to:
- Register with the Office of Disability Services.
- Provide documentation of a disability.
- Know your unique needs as they relate to your disability and make sure the documentation support your claim.
- Ask for accommodations as far in advance as possible.† Keep records.
- Present your letter of accommodations to your instructor/service provider.
- Maintain the academic and conduct code and standards of the University.
- Establish a collaborative relationship with instructors and discuss your limitations as early and often with the instructor as possible.† Use their office hours, email, telephone, etc.†
- Maintain a copy of the faculty letter of accommodations with other records related to each semester coursework.†
- Comply with the accommodations letter issued by the Director of Disability Services.
- Notify students that accommodations are available by including a disability statement on all course syllabi.
- Determine essential elements of the course or program of study.
- Set and maintain course grading scale, conduct standards and academic standards.
- Maintain and document efforts to contact or counsel with students with a disability. †Note if and why accommodations are extended but not used by the student.† Keep records.†
- Notify the Office of Disability Services and the student in writing what you cannot do to facilitate learning relative to the letter of recommended accommodations issued by the Director of the Office of Disability Services.†
- Respect the studentís right to privacy concerning his or her disability.††
- Assist the University to implement ADA policies and procedures for providing accommodations, eliminating discrimination and removing attitudinal barriers.†